Sunday, August 29, 2010

First day of school

Last week my girls had their first day of school.  
As the academic coordinator, I made it a point to be ecstatic for their return.  For this joyous occasion, I created wonderful "back to school bags".  Continuing my excitement I collaborated with my co-workers and we decided to make a yummy breakfast for our achieving scholars.  That night, 
I laid in bed feeling thrilled for my scholars and looking forward to the upcoming day.

 Sooner rather then later, my alarm began buzzing me awake.  I stumbled out of bed an I put a smile on my face while trying to remember how to function at  6:30 am.  As the girls entered the kitchen I thought they would share the same enthusiasm as I in regards to their first day of school.  To my dismay they were anything but enthused.  Instead, their faces screamed "get away from us now".  At this point I had to laugh at my own stupidity.

To continue the fun my co-workers and I drove them to school in the large red van wearing our pajamas(cruel I know).  As each mortified teenager exited the car we cheered for them.  When they all gathered together, mumbles of our evil gestures were shared amongst the group.

Looking back I am certain that I possessed similar feelings towards attending school.  Instead of living the free-life of summer, days become filled with routine and discipline.  I wonder how different my high school experience would be if I had the attitude I have now.  Today, I realize the importance of education and that through it tools are given to survive in the "real-world".  There are people that have gone without this gift and my heart breaks for them.  Simple actions we take for granted, like reading a book or writing a letter to a friend, many cannot accomplish.  I can say whole-heartedly that I am grateful for the education I have received and I know I would not be the same with out it.  

3 comments:

  1. So true, great observation...bags look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey they should be happy you drove them! i remember back in the day when we had to wait out at the bus stop in 5 inches of snow haha wow i sound old

    ReplyDelete
  3. food looks great kate! Martha and Betty would be so proud :)

    ReplyDelete